This is the back of my right thigh right above my knee.
I was pulling weeds and the next thing I remember is being on the ground and thinking, "I must have SCRATCHED myself on that corner fence post."
When I drew back a handful of blood I decided there was no way I could dodge ER on this one, especially since I needed to update my tetanus.
3 internal stitches
7 external stitches
1 tetanus shot
Large bandage around the whole leg
Antibiotics and Vicodin later
I got to come home.
Nurse Kelli is changing the dressing daily and I have a Dr. apt. on Tuesday to check on its healing progress.
When we got home, I had to return to the scene of the crime and it was a little disconcerting to find my thigh guts on the post.
It is very sore and I am allowed to be escorted by my husband to the bathoom and head back to my recliner with my leg propped up on pillows. I can't crochet because the arm HURTS where I got the tetanus shot.
Calling all prayers and prayers of prayers!
Kiereney's shunt will be turned off on 28 April.
On 5 May at 10:30 a.m. we will hed to St. Louis University Hospital and have a stereotactic CT of her head done. We see the surgeon at 11:15. IF the ventricles have enlarged to allow him to put a shunt in, she will go to surgery at 5:30 the next morning on her brother's birthday. We have no other details at this time. The biggie is to see if the ventricles have enlarged from shutting down the lumboperitoneal shunt.
If not, then we will be referred to a pain management clinic.
Kelli has reservations on the surgery since it's the brain, Kiereney is tired of pain but thinks everyone(doctors, family, etc) will be mad at her if she doesn't have it. As Kelli says, Kiereney is a people pleaser. She needs to advocate for her OWN desires as it is her body. Whatever she chooses is her choice and will have no repercussions from this mom.
I feel that the fact that we were able to get her back on our insurance in what looked like a hopeless challenge is a sign to investigate if the surgery is doable(have the CT scan, talk to the neurosurgeon). Of course, I have a lot of confidence in the neurosurgeon and if he says he can successfully get the shunt into her cerebral artery then I believe and trust him and pray that this will put an end to the pseudotumor cerebri chapter of her life so she can get on with living her life. This has been a 3 year battle and she will be 25 in November. Hard to watch your child suffer.
Like every other surgery, no guarantees that it will work or there won't be complications. But I feel if God brings us to it, God will bring us through it.
And I'm still believing.
Have a phenomenal weekend and I will update as I can.