18 September 2008

Thursday Evening KJ Update

She was -supposed- to be discharged today but at 3 this morning she spiked a 103 temp. All blood cultures and labs came back normal and her 3 incisions looks great. One thought is that when they intubated her during the surgery, it irritated her throat and she has pharyngitis and that *could* have caused a temp. I've been at the hospital from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Kelli just took over. Last I was told was that they're calling in the Infectious Disease Dr. again "just in case"...the surgeon was in and cleared her to discharge since his incisions looked good. She is coughing a lot so who knows? She might have picked up a virus in the hospital.

The vision is better and the headaches will take about another week to go according to the surgeon. She goes back a week from today to have her staples removed from her incisions. She's do to little for the next 6 weeks and after that her main restrictions are anything that she has to reach and jump for, as in basketball or volleyball, as that could dislodge the shunt and she would have a spinal fluid leak which wouldn't be good. As she has never played either sport seriously, I don't think that will be a problem. What will be a problem is her getting used to oral versus IV pain relief. Hopefully the incisional pain will fade, the headaches will fade and she won't have a need for anything stronger than ibuprofen.

It is by your prayers and the grace of God that this family is still physically going. We will never be able to thank you enough.

Roger made 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies and we distributed them to her nurses, NAs and staff on all three shifts for the phenomenal job they did taking care of her and our every need. To her day charge nurse who went over and beyond the call of duty in keeping her in excellent nursing care so I could go home at night, Roger and Kelli made bread and we gave her a hot loaf last night. I usually subscribe to the theory that none of my family will be at the hospital alone but it was so great to sleep at night and know she was getting top notch care until I could get there at 6 a.m.

I will update as I know more. Have a wonderful weekend!


Steph said...


Keeping all of you in prayer. Make sure that you take care of yourself as well.

Call if you need anything.


Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I think I missed your call. I'm sorry :(

Glad to hear that things are mostly looking up.

Text/call me tomorrow if you can.'

Sleep well my friend...


Laura ~Peach~ said...

hugssssss and how sweet (literally) of you guys to take breads and cookies!!!!
I hope they can figure these temps out! nothing more agrivating than FUO.... more hugssssss
Love ya Laura

Michelle said...

Get some rest Ness. You deserve it. I can only imagine how hard this week has been for you. I am keeping you and the rest of the family in my thoughts.

dlyn said...

Glad she is on the mend Ness - prayers continuing!

Alice said...

Continuing to pray. And I agree with Steph. You need to take care of yourself too. Sending love, love, love and prayers. Keep us posted.

Maribeth said...

Oh I pray that this nightmare is nearly at an end.

AirmanMom said...

The power of prayer!
Ness, I will remain your prayer warrior!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Tonjia said...

great news Ness! I think the temp just sounds like a minor roadblock.

I am thrilled that her vision is better. That scared me. The headaches will go away.

your family are all still in my prayers, may God Bless.