In short, Kiereney was hospitalized Friday in Marion, IL(2 hours south of me) for headache. Spinal tap was done and pressure was 40(normal 20). She was released to me Sunday afternoon and I took her to her neurologist here in Belleville where we live and she collapsed in their office. An ambulance was called and she was taken to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Belleville. A CT scan later, it was determined that she needed a shunt put into her head to drain the spinal fluid...however there was too much pressure in the head that narrowed the ventricles so a shunt could not be done in the brain and it was to be put in her spine and drained into the abdomen. She was admitted and surgery scheduled for Tuesday.
However, at 3 this morning Kelli called and she had spiked a 103 fever(ALL labs drawn yesterday came back normal) so surgery was cancelled. They are doing chest x-rays, blood cultures and she is scheduled for an EEG with emphasis on brain stem function this morning.
Roger is with her now. Kelli relieved me at 9 last night and stayed until Roger got there at 6 this morning. I am to relieve Roger at noon. We have to stay with her 24 hours a day because she is incoherent and tries to get out of bed. She also hyperventilates because of the pain and we work with her to calm her down so the nurses won't have to babysit her. Besides, I would be at her side no matter what.
Please pray for her that the source of infection can be found and treated so this surgery can be done. She has lost peripheral vision in both eyes as of Friday night. Both optic nerves are swollen and we have been told that she could lose her sight permanently. Also, there is great risk anytime you do spinal surgery.
I know God is an awesome God and will keep us strong and find a way to pay for this since she has no insurance. We're exploring state aid and Medicaid. Her working future is uncertain and to have this at age 21 is bearing hard upon her. If I could take it from her and upon myself I would as I have lived life.
Will update as I can.
Thank you for your prayers.
All About the Bean - After two years with our old year-round swim team, B and I decided we weren't quite happy with how things were going. The main team was in NN and we were...
5 days ago