Roger got up Friday morning thinking something was wrong with his sleep apnea machine because he couldn't breathe. He took Kelli to work and came back and got in the recliner and he and Katie were sleeping. I woke him up about 10:30 as he had a routine 3 month followup apt. with our GP. He got up, went to the bathroom, came back and said, "We have a problem. I can't get a breath. I feel like someone has taken 3/4 of my lungs away." I called the GP, he had me take a BP and check him for edema and told me to call 911 and have him taken to Memorial Hospital and he would call ahead and call his cardiologist.
He left here with 4 liters of oxygen on him. I got Kiereney and Katie settled and went to the hospital. His oxygen saturation was 86%(normal 93% and above). They started him on IV Lasix to remove fluid(he takes 40 mg daily). By yesterday he had lost 12 pounds---mostly water weight. His EKG on arrival to ER showed him to be in atrial flutter where the heart just quivers and doesn't make a good beat. That makes him highly prone to blood clots so they started IV Heparin as a blood thinner. His lungs were full. He finally got to a room about 9 p.m. Friday night.
Saturday was spent doing echocardiograms, EKGs, chest x-rays and cardiac lab work to rule out a heart attack. I finally went home about 8 Saturday night. Kelli had taken Kiereney and Katie to Southern Illinois for the weekend so I didn't have to take care of Katie.
As of last night, he was put on Coumadin(another blood thinner) and still on the Heparin. The dietician was in to go over his new food plan(no sodium, no caffeine, 1500 cc of fluids per day only and low Vitamin K because of the Coumadin. There are a whole bunch of medicines he can't take now because of the Coumadin. He is also on Betapace to help with the atrial flutter.
I was told if the atrial flutter didn't stop, they would have to do cardioversion on him(with the paddles like someone in cardiac arrest) but his Coumadin level had to be therapeutic(2.5-3) for four weeks before they could do it.
He is satting at 98% on 2 liters of oxygen.
Ready for more?
Kiereney's surgeon just called and her surgery date is March 25 with her preop testing THIS WEDNESDAY! She is still in Southern Illinois so I decided her dad will have to bring her up, wait for the testing and then take her back so she can take care of Katie. Someone will get her on the 24th for her surgery and Katie will be back. Hopefully Roger will be home before her surgery to sit with Katie. We have seen results with the Senil Life and are adding 1.5 mg of melatonin in the evening and after 10 days to get to therapeutic level, she should sleep at night.
I am pretty much living at the hospital to catch up with his doctors and all the labs and testing they're doing on him. Kelli got sick at work so I had to bring her home and I'm going back at 7 to watch Dancing With The Stars. I came home, vacuumed, cleaned carpets and now taking a break.
Laura, thank you so much for updating for me.
Thanks to everyone for your good thoughts and prayers. Please continue as we are not out of the woods with Roger yet.
I will try to be better at updating. My phone won't let me access the Internet anymore and I never did figure out how to write a blog msg from my telephone anyway.
I need to just breathe.
Are You Ready? - Sunset at Lissie's that has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but is pretty so I popped it in here. It's that time of year again. The anxiety drea...
1 week ago